Monday, June 21, 2010

squash stems revisited

After I posted about my squash stem splitting, I was really wondering why only 1 out of my 10 squash plants had split. So I lifted some leaves and looked a bit closer. I was mistaken.... 4 out of my 10 are split. They are all doing well so I won't be trying any fancy fixes like taping them or burying the stems in dirt. I'm going to let them go and keep an eye on them.  But this still begs the question, why only some of the plants are splitting and not all of them. There's too many variations in the garden to really nail down an answer, but my guess is:
But seriously folks, I think it's just a matter of placement in the garden and how much water they're each getting. Clearly they're not being treated equal, but they ones that are splitting are the ones that are growing faster (bigger) and getting more sunlight

7 comments:

  1. You've got some cool (and scary) looking creatures in that garden. Maybe you can turn it into a Jurassic Park type place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog seems perfect for someone with my limited gardening experience. I've actually never posted on a blog before so I'll see how this goes. Good luck with your current garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might have to De-Gnome your garden !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to "squash" the creature in your garden !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those squash are going to be delicious at the end of the season !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really like squash, but after looking at these pictures I might want to eat some- or put one in the juicer !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the squash is growing nicely

    ReplyDelete