Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Here's a picture of the garden from a different angle. I chose this angle because of the wascilly wabbit drooling over the delicious looking plants just out of reach.  Botch mentioned something about Fort Knox or keeping a herd of buffalo out of my garden with my over-the-top fence, but here we see why I have the fence.  What I don't understand is while this little bunny is eye-ballin our yummy vegetables, why doesn't he hop a few yards over to the neighbors non-fenced garden and eat it up?  Don't get me wrong, I don't want my neighbors garden to get eaten any more than I want ours to get gobbled up. I still wonder why I need a fence and my neighbors do not. Perhaps they use Bloodmeal?  Maybe it's the type of vegetable. When the little guys were getting into my garden they ate up all the pepper plants and beans (can't remember what else I had out there), but they left the tomato plants alone.

I want to try a blowgun. They're illegal in CA and MA, but I found no such law for CT.  I wouldn't use it with deadly force and skewer the hapless Lagomorpha (it's not a rodent), but instead would opt for the stun darts or practice darts.  They're not harmful...they just give a sting to the surprised animal and hopefully teach them that this yard is no longer safe for its garden-viewing pleasure.  One problem with this idea is that if the offending mammal sees me, then it associates the pain with me and not the yard (at least that's what I read) and I can't really get close enough to reach it with my garden being so far away from the house.  Maybe some practice?  Then I just have to contend with embarrassing my wife as my neighbors observe me slithering through the grass with a 4' tube. Click the picture to see it in action:

No comments:

Post a Comment