Friday, July 23, 2010

Having been gone for 10 days or so, I've missed the opportunity to update the blog. But more importantly I've missed the opportunity to weed.  The garden obviously went through a growth spurt.  I like the layout I have here. There's a place for me to get into the garden and the big tomatoes are off to the sides. Unfortunately once I get in there the various squash plants make it difficult to move around.
Our yummy spaghetti squash escaped the fence, but it looks none the worse.  Reading around some sites, it doesn't seem to matter when I pull this off the vine, but some suggest waiting for the vine to turn brown or the shell of the squash turns hard.  Doubt I'll wait that long because just thinking about it makes me hungry.
Here's another view from the other side.  You can see the pepper plants and squash mixed in there, but mostly all you see are those nasty nutrient-sucking garden killers known as weeds.  The poor excuse of a weed barrier has all but disintegrated.  Each step I take tears a new hole, but it doesn't matter anyway because the weeds grew up under the barrier, and pushed it up high enough to find enough light to grow sideways. And now that it's being destroyed, I'm wondering why I even put it down in the first place.  Now I know they say weed barrier is used under a layer of mulch and whatnot, so I guess I can't totally blame it for disintegrating, but I've had success with it in the past.  I will recruit my family and start pulling up weeds the old fashioned way, but I think I'll have a chat with some fellow bloggers about what they do. Taking a look at Skippy's post-vacation garden is a lot different then mine. I don't see any weeds in her garden.
This is about our 2nd harvest from the garden this year. The squash are a big too large for my tastes, but I gave 2 away in the hopes that someone will enjoy them.  The lettuce plants grew up instead of out and look all weird now. I'll have a pic of that next time.  Our first cucumber and jalapeno peppers went to the family that watered our garden while I was away and peas got gobbled up when I turned my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment