Tuesday, March 22, 2011

sprouts

If we were running a race to see which seed produces the first little plant, the sunflower would bring home the trophy.  Tough to see here, but you can enlarge the image. 
Since the sunflower is not a vegetable in our vegetable garden, I will not be giving it the trophy.  It will instead go to the yummy lettuce sprouting up all over the place:

I'd like to thank the broccoli for all their support. Ain't no tomato gonna make a fool of me!


The little seeds didn't take too long to sprout. Within 2 days of planting we had lettuce.  The seeds looked so small, that we figured we should throw more than one in a hole.... this has resulted in quite a few little plants all sharing for the same dirt and water...should be interesting.

We made the mistake of planting giant sunflower seeds in the same tray as the other plants.  Anyone that has planted sunflowers knows they come up pretty fast.  They're already hitting the cover of the tray and need to be transplanted because some of the other seeds haven't even shown any activity yet.  I've had a problem where the shell of the sunflower is growing up out of the dirt with plant.  It's got a death grip on my leaves and I'm not sure how to pull them off.  Searching the internet has only yielded answers about how to remove shells from seeds you want to eat.  I'm thinking I just need to change what I'm actually searching for, but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment